With house and lot prices constantly on the rise, more people are looking for other ways to build their dream house. One alternative that has gained popularity over the years are storage, or shipping, container houses. Many recommend them for a number of reasons, while others say that storage container homes are not all that great.
If you are thinking of building a shipping container house, here are some things that can help you decide:
- Value for money – Houses in the city or suburbs can be quite expensive. If you want to save money building your dream house, then a moveable container is a good alternative. It is a whole lot cheaper than traditional houses, so you can construct a house for as low as US$500,000. With a house this low-priced, you can allot more of your budget to purchase other household items you will need for your new home.
- Flexibility -You might think that container houses are difficult to construct, but it’s just the opposite. Because the boxes are shaped the way they are, it is easy to stack them together, depending on how many floors you want. You can even have them customized and point out where you want the doors and windows. The storage container company will be happy to do it for you, and will even stack them the way you want it.
- Fast and easy construction – Because each storage container already provides you with a ceiling, a floor, and four outside walls, you don’t have to build your house from scratch. With the main foundation already set, all you need to do is to add the interior walls for the rooms, insulate the insides, and start decorating.
- Environment-friendly -Not only do you save money by constructing a shipping container house, you also help save the environment. For every container box you use for your house, you recycle 3,500 kilograms worth of steel in the form of an abandoned shipping container. Additionally, you limit the use of other construction materials, such as wood, cement, or bricks.
- Security and durability – Because most shipping containers are made from corrugated fiberboard, they are very sturdy and weather resistant. No need to worry about harsh storms or other natural disasters since the storage boxes will protect you from most of them.
- Style and creativity – When you order a storage unit, what you’re getting is essentially a big box with no inside walls or other contraptions. This means you have complete freedom to design and customize your house the way you want it. Stack them as high as you want, paint each box differently if you wish, and decorate so that each room reflects your personal style.
- Structure issues – Sure, it’s easy to stack up shipping containers on top of each other, as long as you stack them on their corners. If you want to be more adventurous and have some boxes poking out of the stack, you have to strengthen them to make sure you don’t encounter safety issues in the future. Doors and windows also need to be reinforced so they don’t cause accidents or deteriorate over time.
- Temperature problems – Because a shipping container is essentially a big storage box, it can absorb heat and cold very quickly. Rapid changes in temperature inside your home are possible, so make sure to insulate the insides properly to avoid high electricity bills from using your air conditioning unit or heater too much.
- Health hazards – Shipping units are originally designed to store items, not people. There is always a chance that the storage container you purchase has carried toxic chemicals in the past, which may pose health problems to you and your family. Make sure you understand all possible health issues a shipping container house may have before you begin your project.
- Building permits -Shipping container houses is still a new idea, so acquiring building permits may take a bit more effort. Just make sure you have all the required documents when you apply, to make the process easier.
It is important to know all the pros and cons of a building project before you decide. Once you decide to proceed with the construction of your storage container house, the next step is to find a reliable moveable storage company to supply you with your container needs.
We at Moveable Container Storage understand your needs, and we offer excellent services at very reasonable prices. By obtaining our services, you won’t have to worry about the container and its delivery. All you need to think about is how to build your dream home in the best possible way.